Why Do I Make Wine ?

I enjoy creating and sharing food and wine among friends, but that doesn't explain it completely. I am fascinated with the process of combining ingredients and watching the magic of nature and chemistry transform this mixture into something more then the sum of it's parts. Enjoying the results of my labor is just a happy reward along with the learning experience associated with my failures. I do this because I enjoy learning about food and wine and meeting like-minded people...

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Getting Organized

My wine making equipment and ingredients have been scattered all around my house and garage. Wherever I could find a place to store it. That always made it difficult to find whatever I needed to make a batch of wine. Hunting all over to find something was not fun. Many times I would find I was out of something I needed or it was too old to use so I needed to get everything organized in one place to keep track. I also don't have a basement in my home so I needed a dark and cool place for fermentation and aging. Some times I have several recipes going in various stages and carboys or primary fermenters all over the floor in my kitchen or spare bedroom. At least it is usually not too warm up here in Alaska and I keep my indoor heat set to 68 F for my comfort preference. I did try to cover glass carboys to keep out light. So I decided to set up  a spare closet to hold fermenters and large items...


And I had a plastic 2 drawer storage unit that would hold all of my smaller equipment and supplies.

Now I can keep track of everything in one central location. It is not perfect and means that my spare guest room closet is not really usable for hanging clothes. Oh well... it will do for now. It is a great improvement compared to my old and unorganized method.

No comments:

Post a Comment