Why Do I Make Wine ?

I enjoy creating and sharing food and wine among friends, but that doesn't explain it completely. I am fascinated with the process of combining ingredients and watching the magic of nature and chemistry transform this mixture into something more then the sum of it's parts. Enjoying the results of my labor is just a happy reward along with the learning experience associated with my failures. I do this because I enjoy learning about food and wine and meeting like-minded people...

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

2021 Raspberry Wine


Harvest season in my Wasilla Alaska zone 4A home garden starts in mid-August and continues until freeze-up in late September.

Raspberries do very well in Alaska. I wash fresh picked berries and freeze them on sheet pans and then weigh out 1 pound and vacuum bag the frozen berries for storage in my deep freezer. I needed to make room in my little deep freezer for this season's produce so I pulled out 16 bags of frozen Raspberries to make a 5 gallon batch of Raspberry Wine.

On 8/24/2021 I combined the following ingredients:

16 lbs frozen Raspberries
10 lbs Sugar - dissolved in 3 Gal hot water
1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1 1/4 tsp Grape Tannin

I added 2 Qts hot tap water to = about 6 Gals total must at 64 degrees F.

Let rest 24 hours before adding yeast.

On 8/25 The Specific Gravity reading was 1.090

I added 20 oz. sugar dissolved in 2 cups hot water to bring starting Specific Gravity up to 1.10

Total volume is about 6 1/2 gallons of must with pulp.

I rehydrated 1 package of Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast in 1 cup of warm water and pitched the yeast. After 30 hours I was not seeing any activity, probably due to my 68 F cool temperature, so on 8/27 I added a second package of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. I just sprinkled the dry yeast on top and did see fermentation activity within 24 hrs.

I stir the must daily and push down the floating cap for optimal color and flavor extraction. I will check the specific gravity readings and when fermentation slows down I will press the pulp and rack into a carboy.

On Saturday 9/11 - 17 days after pitching the yeast the Specific Gravity was 1.034 and the temperature is about 67 F.

On Saturday 9/18 - 24 days after pitching the yeast the Specific Gravity was 1.010 and the temperature was 66 F,

On Sunday 9/19 - I pressed the pulp....

 ...and transferred to a 5 Gal. glass carboy. 

 I got about 5 1/2 Gal. of new wine.



I am using a waterless airlock that I really like.


Racked again on 11/13/2021 added 1/8 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite.


Specific Gravity 0.099 F.G. calculated at 14.4% Alcohol by volume. 

I plan on bulk aging 3 more months and then may bottle in mid-February if clear and de-gassed and then continue to bottle age...  now the waiting game begins. Come back here to follow the progress.

1 comment: