Why Do I Make Wine ?

I enjoy creating and sharing food and wine among friends, but that doesn't explain it completely. I am fascinated with the process of combining ingredients and watching the magic of nature and chemistry transform this mixture into something more then the sum of it's parts. Enjoying the results of my labor is just a happy reward along with the learning experience associated with my failures. I do this because I enjoy learning about food and wine and meeting like-minded people...

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Blackcurrant Wine 2019

I am growing Blackcurrants in my garden, but due to moose damage every winter they have not yet produced a large crop of berries. Last winter I put a fence around my plants to protect from moose and they are finally recovering and I did have a small crop this year.



Two years ago I purchased 15 lbs of Black Currents from a local Wasilla grower on Craigslist. I washed and de-stemmed the berries and packed them into vacuum bags and stored them in my deep freezer. I just thawed them out - crushed them and mixed the ingredients for 5 Gal. of Black Currant must on 7/14/2019. Black currents are usually very acidic and high in tannin so the recipe did not include additional tannin or acid adjustment...

15 lbs frozen and thawed Blackcurrants - crushed
12 lbs Sugar
1/4 + 1/8 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
4 Gal. water
7/14 Mixed and waited 24 hours...

7/15 - Original S.G. 1.102
Pitched 2 pkgs of Lalvin 71B wine yeast
Stirred daily and punched down the "cap"


7/24 - S.G. 1.034
Removed the berries and pressed the pulp. Transferred to a 7 Gal. glass carboy to finish fermenting under an airlock.


8/23 - S.G. 0.995
Added 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite and racked to a 5 Gal. glass carboy to age under airlock.


Calculated 14% Alcohol by volume.


Saturday 12/19/2020 final S.G. 0.995 - 24 bottles.


Taste is light and fruity with just a hint of tannin. Very drinkable now. I might add some tannin to my next recipe and maybe a small dose of acid blend. The color and flavor profile is closer to Pinot Noir than to Cabernet. There seems to be a very slight sweetness even at 0.95 S.G. and may be due to light acid-tannin content. Not much aroma or bouquet is detectable, but currants can have a heavy odor that some people find unpleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment